As a lifelong resident of West Nipissing, it is my pleasure to announce that I am running for Mayor.
Within our community and in the home where we have lived for the past thirty-eight years and counting, my wife Cynthia and I have raised three wonderful children: Jean-Grégoire, Matthieu,
My formal education is in a Master of Public Administration from Queen’s University, in Kingston. My career in the public service has spanned for over 37.5 years across all levels of government. My experiences as an Employment Counsellor, Manager, Regional Manager and Director have allowed me to work for the betterment of all residents in West Nipissing and beyond. These experiences have provided me with the necessary skills to not only become a competent mayor, but to also assume the role of a strong community leader who promises to forge a pathway for Council to move forward.
During my tenure as a member of Council who represented ward 4, I am proud to have assumed the following positions:
- Chairman of the West Nipissing Water and Sewer Committee.
- Member of the West Nipissing Planning Committee.
- Vice-Chair of the District of Nipissing Social Services Administration Board.
- President of the District of Nipissing Social Services Administration Board Community Services Committee.
- Member of the North Bay Parry Sound District Health Unit.
- President of the North Bay Parry Sound District Health Unit Finance and Property Committee of the Board of Health.
With my experiences in these positions, combined with my overarching appreciation for our community and knowledge of our model of local governance, it will be possible to reunite Council and Staff to ensure that our Municipal government is moving forward in a linear and consistent fashion for the betterment of all residents.
During the last four years of my tenure as a member of Council, I have been consistent in my voting with the hopes of making decisions that are both meaningful and informed. My focus has
been to ensure that our community has well developing plans and direction, which included advocating for a Strategic Plan, a Doctor Recruitment plan, and an Asset Management Plan.
I have also demonstrated a special interest in the health and safety of Municipal employees and residents. This included working in harmony with Municipal staff, advocating for a plan to
improve the quality of water in Verner, advocating for sidewalks for students in areas where safety concerns were raised, and advocating for safer roads along with the development of other
essential infrastructure projects.
With the belief that a community is the sum of its parts, I have demonstrated a strong volunteer commitment throughout all facets of our community. These volunteer commitments included:
- West Nipissing Cycle for Charity (Co-Founder, Co-Chair).
- West Nipissing Community Health Centre (former President of the Board).
- Sturgeon Falls Beautification Group (Co-Founder, Fund Seeker, and Worker).
- West Nipissing Nordic Ski Club (Trail Worker and Guide).
- Friends of the Beach (Co-Founder, Fund Seeker, and Worker).
- West Nipissing General Hospital Long Term Care Courtyard Project (Committee member and Fund Seeker).
- West Nipissing AA Hockey (President).
- West Nipissing Public Service Association (President).
- West Nipissing Soccer (Coach).
If elected to be the next Mayor of West Nipissing, I will continue to search for new ways to be involved in our community. I will continue to advocate for affordable housing, business development projects, and respite programs for elderly persons. I will also continue to search for the best policies and practices to ensure that our local government is working for the people it represents. The time has come to request this change.
Let us move forward with direction and strong leadership.
My ten point plan for West Nipissing:
- Growing our infrastructure
- Promote a Healthy Community
- Access to affordable Housing.
- Access to Medical Care
- Access to Services for our Elderly
- Growth and support local businesses
- Promote Economic Development
- Implement our Strategic, Housing and Land use plans using them as our
- Working with staff, stakeholders and other levels of Government.
- A vision for our Community based on everyone’s input with emphasis on youth, young adults, families and seniors.
- Strong leadership
- Total commitment to moving forward
- Person of principle