The North Bay Parry Sound District Health Unit (Health Unit) has received the first shipment of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine for the district. The shipment is small and is allotted to residents of long-term care, as prioritized in phase one of the province of Ontario’s COVID-19 vaccination program.
The Health Unit has been in contact with long-term care homes to start the immunization process. It is anticipated to have all long-term care home residents and elder care residents of First Nations communities immunized by the provincial deadline of February 5, 2021.
Once the Health Unit receives additional doses of the COVID-19 vaccine priority will be given to:
- staff, essential caregivers (including family caregivers) and other employees in long-term care settings;
- residents, staff, essential caregivers (including family caregivers) and other employees in retirement homes and congregate living settings for seniors;
- health care workers, including hospital employees, staff who work or study in hospitals and health care personnel;
- adults in First Nations, Métis and Inuit populations;
- adult recipients of chronic home health care.
The Health Unit will continue to update the district on the status of the COVID-19 vaccine as information becomes available, including when the public can call for appointment booking.