(WEST NIPISSING, ON) – On September 20, 2020 at 4:25 a.m., members of the Nipissing West Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) received a report that a pick-up truck towing an enclosed utility trailer was observed crashing through the locked gate from a business on Golf Course Road in the Municipality of West Nipissing (Sturgeon Falls) and proceeding westbound on Highway 17.
Investigation revealed the pick-up truck and utility trailer containing two motorized snow vehicles were stolen from the business.
Shortly thereafter, officers located the vehicle parked along Highway 17 in Verner. The accused was found near the stolen vehicle and after a short foot chase, was arrested.
As a result of the investigation, Marco BRILLIANT, age 44, from Sudbury, was charged with:
- Break, Enter a Place – Commit Indictable Offence, contrary to section 348(1)(b) of the Criminal Code (CC);
- Mischief Under $5000, contrary to section 430(4) of the CC;
- Mischief Over $5000 (two counts), contrary to section 430(3) of the CC;
- Possession Property Obtained by Crime Over $5000 – in Canada (four counts), contrary to section 354(1)(a) of the CC;
- Obstruct Peace Officer, contrary to section 129(a) of the CC; and
- Failure to Comply with Release Order – other than to attend court, contrary to section 145(5)(a) of the CC.
The accused remains in custody and is scheduled to appear at the Ontario Court of Justice – Bail Court, on October 21, 2020 in North Bay.