NIPISSING WEST OPP CHARGE DRIVER WITH IMPAIRED BY DRUG
(WEST NIPISING, ON) – On May 15, 2020 at 12:10 p.m., members from the Nipissing West Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) responded to a traffic complaint on Front Street in the Municipality of West Nipissing (Sturgeon Falls).
The vehicle was located stopped at a local business parking lot. Upon speaking with the driver, officers determined the individual was under the influence of a drug and he was arrested.
Officers seized a quantity of drugs suspected to be Fentanyl, Hydromorphone, Cannabis and Cocaine. The street value of the drugs is approximately $3500.
Further investigation by a Drug Recognition Expert (DRE) was completed and as a result of this evaluation, the driver, Easey Grant WABIE, age 34, from Notre Dame du Nord, QC was charged with:
- Operation While Impaired – Blood Drug Concentration, contrary to section 320.14(1)(c) of the Criminal Code (CC);
- Possession of a Schedule 1 Substance for the Purpose of Trafficking – Opioid (other than heroin), contrary to section 5(2) of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (CDSA);
- Possession of a Schedule 1 Substance – Opioid (other than heroin), contrary to section 4(1) of the CDSA;
- Possession of a Schedule 1 Substance – Cocaine, contrary to section 4(1) of the CDSA;
- Failure to Comply with Release Order – other than to attend Court (three counts), contrary to section 145(5)(a) of the CC; and
- Have Care or Control of Vehicle with Cannabis Readily Available, contrary to section 12(1) of the Cannabis Control Act, 2017 (CCA).
The accused was remanded into custody and is scheduled to appear at the Ontario Court of Justice – Bail Court on May 19, 2020, in North Bay. He was issued a 90-day Administrative Driver’s Licence Suspension (ADLS), and the vehicle was impounded for seven days.
This charge marks the 22nd driver charged under Criminal Impaired Driving Laws in the Nipissing West Detachment area in 2020.