(STURGEON FALLS, ON) – On December 31, 2019, at 4:15 p.m., members of the Nipissing West Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) were on patrol when they observed a vehicle failing to stop for a red light at the intersection of Nipissing Street and Front Street in Sturgeon Falls, Ontario.
The vehicle was stopped and investigation revealed the driver was in violation of bail conditions and was wanted by Service de Police de Laval in Québec.
As a result of further investigation, officers seized a quantity of drugs suspected to be Fentanyl, Hydromorphone, Methamphetamine and Crystal Meth along with a large amount of Canadian currency.
The driver, Onofrio DI PISA, age 51, from Cache Bay, Ontario, was charged with:
- Possession of a Schedule I Substance for the Purpose of Trafficking – Other Drugs (2 counts), contrary to section 5(2) of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (CDSA);
- Possession of a Schedule I Substance for the Purpose of Trafficking – Opioid (2 counts), contrary to section 5(2) of the CDSA;
- Possession of Weapon for Dangerous Purpose, contrary to section 88 of the Criminal Code (CC);
- Possession of Proceeds of Property Obtained by Crime Under $5000, contrary to section 354(1)(a) of the CC;
- Fail to Comply with Recognizance (3 counts), contrary to section 145(3) of the CC; and
- Red Light – Fail to Stop, contrary to section 144(18) of the Highway Traffic Act
The accused remains in custody pending a bail hearing on January 6, 2020 at the Ontario Court of Justice in North Bay.